Thursday, February 18, 2010

Apple Tart with Caramel Sauce

I bought these golden delicious apples yesterday--so pretty in this blue bowl--and decided to try this Apple Tart with Carmel Sauce recipe. It is described as "a grown-up spin on the caramel apple — in tart form." Good enough enticement for me!



The crust--flour, salt, egg yolks, confectioner's sugar--needs to chill for about an hour. Here it is ready to go in the fridge. Not very thrilling as a photo, but it is the first step in the recipe!



This is the first time making my own caramel sauce, which is basically boiled butter, heavy whipping cream and brown sugar.



The caramel is stirred and boiled until it forms a thick layer on a spoon. The mixture darkens as it cooks.



I cut up the apples while the caramel cooled to room temperature.



The apples are cored and quartered, then tossed with flour and cinnamon. The recipe called for cardamom as well (which would have been lovely), but I was out. Cinnamon will have to do.



Here is the tart ready for the oven. Next time, I will do a prettier apple design.



Fresh out of the oven with some of the caramel sauce spooned over the top.



I would plate it, maybe with a scoop of ice cream, and take a taste, but I have to wait for tomorrow's dinner with friends. (Willpower or what?) I will let you know how it tastes!

Update: Soooooooooooo yummy! A definite "must try!"

Cheers!--Janyce

No comments: