Monday, March 16, 2009

My Stroke of Insight by Jill Bolte Taylor, Ph.D.

I read an excellent book over the weekend called My Stroke of Insight by Jill Bolte Taylor, Ph.D. Jill is a neuroanatomist who suffered from a stroke when she was 37 years old. This book gives a personal accounting of what happened to Jill as her body responded (or didn't respond) to the blood vessel exploding in her brain and how she newly perceived the world in the eight years it took her to fully regain her physical and emotional health.

Jill believes it is within each of us to find and reconfigure the patterns in our brain--at the cellular level--to live more positive, healthy lives. Personally, it was a good reminder for me how short life is and how much negative energy I spent last week and over the weekend thinking about the idiot who mooed at me on my walk the other day. As much as I despise ignorant behavior, I also made the choice to let his actions get into my head more than he deserved. I am letting it go and I am off in a minute to take my walk and enjoy the sun that is starting to come up in Maine this morning.

This is a quick read and packed with intriguing and useful information about the brain, strokes, and one woman's courageous journey. I highly recommend it.

1 comment:

Flor Larios Art said...

Yeah, I saw her on a video...she is great! I recommend it too...